This on-demand course is designed for teachers seeking effective strategies to de-escalate challenging student behavior in the classroom. It provides practical insights, tools, and techniques to create a positive and productive learning environment. By the end of this course, you will gain a deeper understanding of managing the cycle of de-escalation, incorporating mindfulness, setting up a reflection area, and implementing break cards as valuable de-escalation tools.
- Managing the Cycle of De-escalation
- Understanding the Escalation Cycle: Recognize the stages of student behavior escalation and identify triggers.
- Proactive Strategies: Develop preventative measures to minimize incidents of challenging behavior.
- Crisis Intervention: Learn effective techniques to safely de-escalate situations when they arise.
- Bringing Mindfulness to Your Classroom
- Introduction to Mindfulness: Explore the concept of mindfulness and its benefits for teachers and students.
- Mindful Practices: Discover mindfulness techniques that can be seamlessly integrated into your classroom routine.
- Fostering Emotional Regulation: Learn how mindfulness can help students better manage their emotions and behaviors.
- Setting Up a Reflection Area: Understand how to create a designated space in your classroom for students to reflect on their behavior.
- Guided Reflection: Learn how to facilitate meaningful reflections and guide students toward understanding and improving their actions.
- Promoting Accountability: Use the reflection area as a tool for students to take responsibility for their behavior and make amends.
- What Are Break Cards: Explore the concept of break cards and their role in de-escalating behavior.
- Creating and Distributing Break Cards: Learn how to design and use break cards effectively in your classroom.
- Using a Reflection Area for De-escalation
- Implementing Break Cards as a De-escalation Tool
Monitoring and Feedback: Understand the importance of tracking break card usage and providing feedback to students.