“Try before you buy” is our motto. We are here to help school districts and charter schools throughout our region meet the IDEA mandate: “assistive technology must be made available, if required as a part of a child’s special education - 4 CFR§§3005.6 and 19 TAC §89.1050.”
Specifically, we maintain a varied collection of assistive technology equipment for loan to school district and charter school staff.
Our equipment loans are for trials with students in special education prior to purchase, thus ensuring money is spend only on tools that have proven to be effective. For ease of access to our collection, we maintain an online inventory. Additionally, visits to our AT Preview Center (ATPC) can be scheduled for consultation on equipment and hands-on demonstrations.
At Preview Center Visits
Not certain what we have or what you need? Come and visit! Visitors to the ATPC can preview equipment specifically designed for students with disabilities. It is also possible for visitors to get hands-on experience with such assistive devices as alternate keyboards, switches, environmental control units, as well as a wide variety of communication systems.
Visits to the ATPC must be scheduled in advance and are coordinated through Robin Reimund, AT Preview Center manager. She can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 512-919-5426.
- AT General Loans – switches, low tech communication devices, switch-adapted toys, alternate access equipment, etc.
- AT Reserve - high tech communication devices, iPads for communication trials, etc.
- Assisted Listening Devices – personal listening devices, whole room sound fields, etc.
- Active Learning Equipment – essef board, little room, bead chain, etc.
- AT for the Blind/Visually Impaired - Braillenote takers, braille embossers, hand-held video magnifiers, luggable CCTV video magnifiers, etc.
Frequently asked questions
View our help doc to get answers to frequently asked questions about our AT equipment loans.
Get access to our educational library housed at our center by filling out a patron application. All our AT equipment is loaned through this system.
Get access to our preview center
Learn how you can access our assistive technology preview center and start testing out assistive technology for free.
Need to get in touch?
Contact a member of our team for more information.
Robin Reimund, 512-919-5426